Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Board of Water Works Business Office located?
The office is located in downtown Pueblo at 319 W. 4th Street. The main telephone number is 719-584-0250.
Customer hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What utility services are provided by the Board of Water Works?
The utility provides water service to the community of Pueblo. In addition, the Water Works bills and collects wastewater and stormwater charges for the City of Pueblo.

When starting new service, must that be done at the Water Works’ Business Office?
Service initiation may be done in person at the office, or by calling us at 719-584-0250.

Are water restrictions in place at this time?
No, water restrictions are not in place but customers are encouraged to use water wisely. Landscape irrigation should be done before 10:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m.

Are there minimum monthly charges?
Customer accounts are subject to a monthly minimum based upon the size of meter serving the property. The minimum charge includes up to 2,000 gallons of water. In addition, there are minimum charges for the City of Pueblo’s utility services as well. For further information, contact us at 719-584-0250.

What is the wastewater charge?
The wastewater or sewer charge is based upon water consumed between the December and February (non irrigation months) water meter readings. It consists of a monthly minimum and a volume charge which is the average usage during the adjustment period.

When are bills for service issued to customers?
The Water Works reads all meters monthly. Your bill depends on your address, route and cycle, and bills are mailed within 1 or 2 days of meter reading. Bills are due upon receipt, delinquent if not paid within twenty days and subject to discontinuance if not paid within 35 days of billing.

Can I change the due date on my bill?
No, but you have twenty days in which to make a payment and maintain a current balance.

Why is my bill so high when compared to my neighbor’s bill?
This is a difficult question to answer. Everybody has a different lifestyle – there are really no “normal” bills. If you feel your bill may be in error, you should compare it to your bill at the same time last year. If you have done this and you still believe there may be an error, report it to us. We will make every effort to re-read your meter and inspect your service.

What payment options are available?
The Board of Water Works convenient customer payment options include:
In person at our business office located at 319 W. 4th Street
By phone through our Customer Call Center at 584-0250
Electronically through either our direct debit program known as E-Z Pay or online at:

Can I access my account and pay my bill online?
Yes, by simply logging on to and signing in to, you can view and perform a variety of functions for your account(s). You can sign up for electronic billing statements, make an online payment, register for our recurring credit card option and much more!

If I cannot make my payment by the due date, can payment arrangements be made?
The Water Works does not extend credit nor extend due dates, however, a Customer Service Representative may be able to assist if payment history has been good. Contact Customer Service at 719-584-0250.

What if my account is disconnected for delinquency?
The account must be brought current, a turn-on fee will apply and a service deposit may be required.

Do I need to pay a deposit?
A service deposit may be required to initiate your water service. Deposits are based on the average cost of three (3) months of water service for the location to be served, but not less than $75. Deposits may be waived if you can provide a recent credit letter from another local utility company or a recent, good history with us at another location.

Do I have to pay the deposit all at once?
We do not accept partial payments on deposits; however, an extension may be granted. Come in and talk to us about your situation.

Can I pay the deposit with a credit card?
Yes, you can pay the deposit with Visa or MasterCard by calling or visiting our Business Office.

When do I get my deposit back?
Deposits are generally held to be applied to your final bill. However, if you are in good credit standing after twelve (12) months, we will apply the deposit to your account’s balance. Deposits earn interest until refunded.

Do I have to be at my property for water service to be turned on?
Yes, for your protection, we ask that you be present when service is turned on. Appointments are set at the customer’s convenience, and unless cancelled, a missed appointment fee may apply.

Who should I call to locate buried utility services at my property?
For water lines to the premise, contact our Service Department at 719-543-2217. Service locations are provided at no charge.

If I suspect a leak in my service line, or in my internal plumbing, can the Water Works help locate it?
Yes, the Service Department can arrange for a leak investigation by calling 719-543-2217.

Why do I have to pay a Stormwater charge?
Information about the Stormwater charge can be obtained by calling the City of Pueblo Stormwater Utility at 719-553-2899. The Board of Water Works bills and collects City utility charges, but does not determine the amount of the Stormwater charge.

Will the Water Works turn on/off my lawn’s irrigation system?
Yes, as a courtesy, the Water Works will provide one turn on/one turn off per irrigation season, at no charge, but assumes no responsibility for operating the customer’s system.